Sunday, March 15, 2009

Purposeful Stillness

Following the opening hymn during Tuesday’s chapel, Dr. Kalas remarked on a unique attribute of our Asbury organist. While this man loves to play, at some point during the song he chooses not to. His generation of silence allows for the “sounds of the people” to be heard. The weight of this organic observation caused me to miss Kalas’ actual sermon (which is regretful to some degree because the number of times I get to sit under this giant are limited). But I began to wonder how often we liken nonmoving with inactivity? Our senses frequently cheat the beauty of what is happening when it appears that nothing is going on. This is unfortunate, as I believe that things grow in these quiet spaces long before they are ever seen.

I must admit that I am often negligent in this process of purposeful stillness. For all of us who struggle with being excessively time-conscious, quietness isn’t easily crossed off a “to do” list. It doesn’t always feel like important work. But may I suggest adding, “hearing Him breath” to our lists tomorrow? Curl up inside of Him and rest knowing that more is being accomplished then countless hours of movement.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I can't believe I missed Tuesday. "The weight of this organic observation..." I chuckled on that one. I'll add that one to the list today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's some amazing insight!
    it wasn't one of Kalas' best, so I think you got something amazing from that wonderful human being anyway ^___^

    ReplyDelete