Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mirrors

The desolate wasteland images that I had conjured up in my mind's eye dissolved after crossing the Oklahoma state boarder. While it can be said that its landscape is not nearly as lush as my old Kentucky home, it has a unique beauty. Oklahoma is rich in pockets of standing water. As timing would have it, our entrance into the state was synchronized with the setting of the sun. Though the hues were relatively muted, the warm orange glow seemed fitting with the inner peace I had sensed throughout the 10 hour trip. Easing deeper into the comfort of my seat, my eyes settled on a field of cow ponds. One after another these still waters acted as mirrors for the dusk sky. The magnificence was multiplied. I giggled to myself in affirmation of the sight. "Something that pretty should be reflected with precision."

In a weighty moment a few hours later, I was reminded of how far I have yet to go in order to embody what the created order does so naturally. A dear friend commented on my personal mirror - more directly he was speaking of the lens in which I view myself. While I can't recall phrase for phrase what was communicated, two words stuck out: distorted and broken. There is a high degree of truth is what was said. I don't have a clear picture of what I look like internally or externally. And sadly, in a culture filled with mirrors, I suspect that very few of us actually see who we truly are. I could fill pages with psychological mumbo-jumbo concerning why this is so, but it will suffice to say that our life's experiences throw rocks into our still waters. These ripples and painful agitations alter our ability to see.

The prayers stemming out of this reality continue to change shape. I first asked that He would calm my waters and allow me to see plainly. In His ultimate wisdom, my pond has been made muddy. Old rocks are being dug out and the sludge surrounding them is being dislodged. In response to this, I'm now asking for courage to withstand the transitional mess as He does this work. God is faithful and I anticipate unruffled days in the future. Almost as a promise, while together this morning, He showed me a still water pocket. It was so transparent. As I approached it I expected to be able to see all of myself. Upon closer examination, the reflection was His image. His magnificence was multiplied and I'll tell you, it was beautiful.



"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Cor 3:18

2 comments:

  1. I am exposed. Your words capture what my heart often cries out to me in my moments of quiet. Perhaps that is why we move so rapidly. In our rushed, hurried, frenzy of church, work, school, and other activities...we do not seek the True mirror. We are like the mom I know well who feels she does not contribute to life. Daily she rushes through the intersection of life, rarely taking a moment for herself. If she did, she would see past the sweat pants and tosseled hair. Past the Weight Watchers Points, the split ends, and the poor handwriting she complains of. Past the deadlines, dry cleaning, errand running and cookie baking. She would see what I see. Strength, beauty, purpose, and splendor. A happy family who serves the Lord, friends who value her for her wisdom, and a church that benefits from her dedication.
    We all should view ourselves from His perspective. Thanks for sharing TRUTH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Ash. Maybe my embellishing of Oklahoma as "a wasteland" runs parallel to the lies that the Accuser tells us about ourselves. Sometimes it's not just the rocks we throw in, but the rocks the Evil One throws in as well.

    ReplyDelete